As you probably know, exercise alone will not get you a toned stomach – diet is a huge part of the equation. Here are five ways to improve your diet that will dramatically flatten your abs:
Secret #1: Enjoy natural sweets
Traditional sugar-filled sweets will quickly add up around your waistline. Instead of going for sugary sweets, enjoy natural sweets.
- Fruit is nature’s candy. Reach for sweet, seasonal fruit for dessert.
- Avoid foods that contain white sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Consider these items ‘anti-flat-abs’.
- Use wholesome sweeteners such as pure maple syrup, brown rice syrup or dates in your recipes instead of white sugar. Eliminate white sugar from your kitchen.
Secret #2: Don’t eat after 6pm
This is such a simple and effective way to lose fat. Late-night eating is the most damaging to your waistline, so cut it out completely.
- Brush your teeth immediately following dinner. Once your teeth are brushed, you’ve put a period to the end of your consumption for the day.
- Change your evening routine. If you’ve always ended your day watching your favorite shows with your hand in the snack bowl, then now is the time to change things up. Find activities that don’t revolve around food and stick with those.
Secret #3: Eat more fiber
Most people simply do not get enough fiber in their diets. Fiber is essential when it comes to getting lean since it is low calorie while filling you up.
- Instead of seeing salad just as a side item, make salads into meals. Add protein to a large pile of greens for a guiltless meal. *Try the recipe for Santa Fe Salmon Salad below.
- Make veggies a part of every meal. The benefits of eating more vegetables are too numerous to list; just know that your body will become healthier and leaner with each fibrous bite.
- Fruits are a delicious source of fiber. Incorporate fresh, seasonal fruits into your daily diet.
Secret #4: Cut back on carbs
Notice I didn’t say to cut out all carbs, but rather to cut back on carbs. These diet tweaks are meant as lifestyle changes that you stick with long term. Cutting back on carbs is a realistic and effective way to drop fat.
- Always choose whole grain bread and pasta over white. Whole grains are less likely to be stored as fat than processed grains.
- Eat half of the carbs you normally do. Eat your sandwich open-faced and reduce the size of your pasta serving.
- Avoid carb-filled snacks between meals. Instead of crackers or chips, have fresh fruit and veggies.
Secret #5: Drink tons of water
Drinking plenty of water is another extremely simple way to promote fat loss. Chronic dehydration leads to false hunger signals and unnecessary calorie consumption.
- Drink a large glass of water before each meal. This will prevent overeating.
- Choose water instead of sugar-filled sodas and juices. Sugar-filled drinks are a huge weight-gain trap.
- Carry a water bottle with you throughout your day. Keep water in the car and at your desk for constant hydration.
Eating right, coupled with challenging exercise, is the formula for a toned, lean body —so guarantee your results by teaming up with me.
Together we will come up with a fitness plan that is uniquely yours, one that fits your lifestyle and brings you promptly to your goals.
Call or email today to get started.